Carson Steinbauer Family Law attorneys are skilled at a wide variety of agreements – prenups, post-nuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements, and others.

People with a high net worth who plan to marry frequently attempt to keep their assets protected if the relationship ends in divorce. There are other contractual agreements, including post-marital agreements and cohabitation agreements, that are also good options for some couples, including in the event of a cohabitation agreement.

“For those concerned about the possibility of divorce down the road, a premarital agreement is a reasonable precaution to take,” says Carson Steinbauer. “When a person marries, often his or her separate property comingles with property considered community property. This comingling can create major complications in the event of divorce.”

Carson Steinbauer writes marital agreements and recognizes that each client has a unique set of circumstances requiring great attention in drafting premarital agreements.

Sometimes an agreement that divides the marital property of people who are already married can be a good way to preserve and protect assets and reach agreements concerning financial issues. These can ease marital stress and sometimes resolve issues to avoid a divorce or divide assets to avoid a dispute about asset division in the event of a divorce. A post-marital agreement, also known as a postnup or partition agreement, may protect one spouse’s assets from the other’s debts or protect assets from the risk associated with a spouse’s business venture.

Many times, couples who intend to live together want to avoid the allegation that they were informally married, otherwise known as common law married.  To avoid that risk, couples can enter into cohabitation agreements that set out their marital status and clarify any financial arrangements or commitments during cohabitation.

If you would like to explore this avenue of protecting your rights, the professionals at Carson Steinbauer can assess your situation and determine if a marital agreement would be appropriate for your situation.